Thursday, December 08, 2005

Why am I Anti-American for Being a Rational Being?


I don't believe in the supernatural. I don't believe in the paranormal. I am open-minded though; I'm willing to admit my beliefs are wrong. However, based on the fact there is absolutely zero evidence for the existence of a god/gods, demons, angels, psychic powers, dowsing, astrology, homeopathy, or any kind of magic in general, and in some cases evidence against their existence, I won't change my mind until they are proven.

Somehow, according to the Fundamentalist in
Lya's most recent post at God is for Suckers, because I don't believe these things exist I am Anti-America. My question to the Theists: Why?

To quote the billboard in the picture:

Attention: Lunatic Atheists & their Lawyers

Anti-God is Anti-American


There is a glaring error in that statement; an atheist can't be Anti-God because there is no God to be Anti about (not to mention the fact that I'd associate "Lunatic" with the Bleevers more than atheism). But apparently this fool thinks that since I don't believe there is a god/gods, I'm Anti-God and therefore Anti-American. Again - why?

Is God an American citizen? No, he'd have to have been born here or go through everything necessary to get citizenship. Hell, I don't even think he has a green card...
Is it because the country's legal framework is based in religion? No, it can't be that. A quick look at the Constitution of the U.S. would show
no mention of "God". So atheism isn't against the law...

So I ask all of you religious types: why am I Anti-America for not believing in God? What makes you hold this belief? Surely there is a reason or you'd not think atheism = Anti-American. Ask yourself. I'm willing to bet it is because someone told you to think this way. And that makes you a credulous fool.

I don't believe in God. And I love living in a country I can fucking say that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You are an Anti-American"... The old kind of sentence showing there are no real arguments...

Bronze Dog said...

Was cleaning out a lot of spam, and accidentally deleted one of mine. Managed to preserve it in the cache, though:

A few relevant quotes I found from Pharyngula's random quote generator:

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." -George Washington, Treaty of Tripoli, 1796

"TREATY OF PEACE AND FRIENDSHIP BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND THE BEY AND SUBJECTS OF TRIPOLI OF BARBARY 8 Stat. 154, Treaty Series 358 Treaty signed at Tripoli November 4, 1796, and at Algiers January 3, 1797. Senate advice and consent to ratification June 7, 1797. Ratified by the President of the United States June 10, 1797 Entered into force June 10, 1797 Proclaimed by the President of the United States June 10, 1797. ARTICLE 11 "As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, — as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,— and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religous opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries." -[John Adams, 1797-05-27, Article 11, Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the US and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary. Treaties and Other International Acts of America, ed. Hunter Miller]

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law. -Thomas Jefferson, February 10, 1814

12/08/2005 1:28 PM

Anonymous said...

The Arabic copy of the Treaty with Tripoli did not have the Article 11 section. It was replaced with the rambling letter instead. So if the treaty version has not Article 11, is it really relivant? The fact that most documents and every building in DC has reference to God trumps this feeble assumption.

Bronze Dog said...

Perhaps you'd like to show some references?