Monday, April 14, 2008

Open Thread: Science is Cool Because...

I remember one period during my stay at the JREF forums that floody troll (who I believe got banned, eventually) "Killik" started bashing science in general, claiming it to be useless or something like that. I didn't see the post that inspired the reply, but someone decided to stick something in Killik's craw (and very effectively, if I recall his responses correctly) by posting a thread entitled, "Science is really cool because..." which encouraged people to post all the wonderful things science has found, made possible, and so forth. I feel like starting something like that here. What's science done to make your life cooler? It can be anything from making PSP possible all the way to merely finding out something nifty about an obscure particle. This thread is wide open.

7 comments:

Infophile said...

Seeing as I'm actually playing PSP as I read this, I think I'll go with that one. Oh yeah, and the internet.

Anonymous said...

I had a dentist appointment today, and there were _no_ hacksaws or pliers involved. And when the dentist pulled out the drill, why, I didn't feel a damn thing, because science has produced fine, well crafted tools and wonderful, wonderful anesthetic chemicals.

AJA said...

I see your PSP and raise you one DS with its touch interface. Also the Wii, as a motion sensitive interface is pretty darn nifty in its own right. Heck, how about the computer I'm typing this on? I'll contribute more later.

Anonymous said...

Anybody who's going to argue that science is useless on an internet forum needs to STFU, ASAP. It's like the Flat Earth society running their own satellite TV channel.

Science is cool because without it, we'd still be in the palaeolithic.

King of Ferrets said...

Science is cool because.... uhhh... hmmm... I have so many reasons! *brain overloads and fizzles*

Anonymous said...

Aw, Infophile stole my response: the internet. Greatest invention since the transistor and PC, IMO.

Largely because it helps me learn about all the other neat things science has discovered!

Unknown said...

Science is awesome because it illuminates the dark places of the universe. This is amazing because of the tendency of this practice to reveal yet more dark holes to shine a light into. It's like a never-ending dungeon crawl with limitless carrying capacity, no health restrictions, and tons of phat loot.