Friday, June 01, 2007

Keeping Out the Blogbarian Hordes

Via Shalini, I learn of The Great Firewall of China. No, I already knew about China's blocking of websites not amendable to State Doctrine or whatever. But with that link, you can check to see if your site's available in China. Mine's not, but I suspect they may have blocked all of Blogger. Remember hearing something about that a while back. Pharyngula still makes it through. Wonder how long that'd last if PZ said something nasty about something the Chinese government did. (Or has he already?)

5 comments:

Infophile said...

Yup, my blog is blocked too. I tried www.blogger.com, but for some technical reason they can't test it at all.

Shalini said...

I tried www.blogger.com too, but it couldn't be tested as well.

TheBrummell said...

Wonder how long that'd last if PZ said something nasty about something the Chinese government did. (Or has he already?)

Perhaps the shear daily volume, the massive flow of material, posted by PZ serves to overload the censors and they've missed the occassional pot-shot at the People's Republic that he's probably made. I can't possibly keep up with everything he writes, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he'd ranted at Beijing in the past.

The thought of more than a billion people denied the opportunity to take part in my Wine Label Contest makes me sad.

Clint Bourgeois said...

My personal website (cbourgeois.org) is blocked. I can't figure why. I host it out of my bedroom, and all I have on it are pictures and the occasional nonsensical rant. I suppose I could start going nuts on the Chinese, but are they really that worried?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your last name makes you sound like something that ostensible communists don't altogether approve of?