Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bad News

My grandmother died last night from natural causes. She lasted as long as she did thanks to modern medical science. I would definitely place her as one of the early influences that led me to becoming the scientifically minded blogger I am today. She studied botany and biology in college during days when fewer people took women seriously in science.

So, I leave you with some of her words that express an attitude of mine so eloquently:
I know a man who won't look up at the sky at night because "they're trying to trick us." I can't imagine going through life like that.

6 comments:

Lou FCD said...

BD,

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad she influenced you so.

The world is a better place because of women (and men) like your grandmother. Those early influences are of vital importance in young minds.

King of Ferrets said...

/comfort

Infophile said...

Very sorry to hear about this; she sounds like she was quite an amazing woman. To return a quote, allegedly said by Albert Einstein near his death (I can't actually find a source, going by memory here):

"When I die, I won't really be gone. You just won't be able to see me anymore."

Your grandmother led a long, fulfilling life. Death doesn't change that, nor does it change all the impact it had on the world. She's left a permanent ripple on the timestream.

Liz Ditz said...

BD,

Please accept my sincere condolences for you & the rest of your grandmother's relatives.

Dikkii said...

Sad to hear about your loss, BD. She sounded like a wise girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. It's clear you really were close to her.