Sunday, August 24, 2008

Bad News

My grandmother died last night from natural causes. She lasted as long as she did thanks to modern medical science. I would definitely place her as one of the early influences that led me to becoming the scientifically minded blogger I am today. She studied botany and biology in college during days when fewer people took women seriously in science.

So, I leave you with some of her words that express an attitude of mine so eloquently:
I know a man who won't look up at the sky at night because "they're trying to trick us." I can't imagine going through life like that.


Lou FCD said...


I'm sorry for your loss, but glad she influenced you so.

The world is a better place because of women (and men) like your grandmother. Those early influences are of vital importance in young minds.

King of Ferrets said...


Infophile said...

Very sorry to hear about this; she sounds like she was quite an amazing woman. To return a quote, allegedly said by Albert Einstein near his death (I can't actually find a source, going by memory here):

"When I die, I won't really be gone. You just won't be able to see me anymore."

Your grandmother led a long, fulfilling life. Death doesn't change that, nor does it change all the impact it had on the world. She's left a permanent ripple on the timestream.

Liz Ditz said...


Please accept my sincere condolences for you & the rest of your grandmother's relatives.

Dikkii said...

Sad to hear about your loss, BD. She sounded like a wise girl.

Dark Jaguar said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. It's clear you really were close to her.