Monday, August 11, 2008

Florida is DOOMED!: Caylee Marie Anthony

Had to use that title, since I have that new Texas is DOOMED label I need to expand, and Florida is one of our big competitors. A reader sent in a link to a story about a band of psychics looking for Caylee Marie Anthony, a missing 3-year-old girl. Thankfully, this sort of thing isn't new, and it doesn't seem to be part of a systematic thing like most true DOOMED topics are. There thankfully seems to be no official link between the psychics and the police given the tone of the story, so I'm glad we aren't talking about stupid government endorsement or anyone forcing the police to work with woo.

But anyway, I suppose I should at least be glad the headline and early mention of psychics in the Fox News article aren't indicative of the whole thing. After finishing the blabbing about the woos, they move appropriately to the various links and associations between the people involved in Caylee's life around the time of her disappearance, giving me the impression that there's plenty of stuff for the police to look at. If the psychics get even vaguely lucky, you can bet they'll be claiming the police were baffled. One thing I'm mildly curious about is the air sampling "new technology" they barely mentioned. The paragraphs devoted to talking about the woos could have been better spent on a brief explanation.

Psychics like this irritate the hell out of me. They can make millions of predictions and cheer when one of them winds up being right. They can talk about the body being in water, out in the desert/forest/other convenient location to hide a body and again praise their mystical powers for telling them the obvious. And I imagine a lot of intelligent, hard-working police officers are pissed off when someone steals the credit from them.

So, to the men and women in blue, you can count on me and many of my fellow skeptics to salute your efforts if the woos won't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're fast! (I sent the links.) I'm also glad that law enforcement hasn't taken heed of this crap yet, but the fact that news organizations go right for the woo (The Fox News & UPI links weren't the only ones, & I only included the UPI one because the 1st WAS Fox News.). Even w/o the police participating in this nonsense, the fact that a national news organization gives it credence by LEADING with it makes me ill. I hope they follow their "psychic" senses right into an alligator-infested swamp!

Reverend Rob

Rev. BigDumbChimp said...

Next thing you know the psychics will be telling them that she's in the woods near some jagged boulders put there by a really tall dark skinned hispanic man with dreadlochs.