Saturday, February 07, 2009

Getting a Resolution Started

Well, I talked about getting somewhere with my Untitled Platformer this year beyond conceptual work. The big hurdle is that I don't have anything more than very simple, outdated programming experience. Well, I did twiddle a little Python for a class, but not much.

Anyway, just thought I'd get a feel for who out here has programming experience. JackalMage talked with me about doing something with some Xbox Live course he took, but I don't hear much from him these days.

For those who haven't signed up for GDL, my UP looks like it's going to be a "2 1/2D" platformer: 3D graphics, mostly 2D gameplay. For those who deal with physics engines, I'd like to say that in UP, the world exists to make many videogame tropes possible, even for average people, so bear that in mind. I'll be starting up a thread over there for some discussion.

5 comments:

MWchase said...

I'm working on getting some Cython experience. Sadly, writing out display logic as opposed to laying it out graphically seriously skeeves me out. What I'm working on may or may not prove useful.

Also, I can't get much practice in until my homework routine is properly solidified for this semester.

King of Ferrets said...

We need more people over at GDL...

Unknown said...

You may want to check out Torque Game Builder at Garagegames.com.
You can do quite a lot with that before you have to start messing with any kind of coding, and there is a platformer starter kit available that should get you even further.

Bronze Dog said...

Thanks for the recommendation, fellow canine. I'll probably need a bit of help figuring out if it'll cover what I need, but early glances are promising.

Unknown said...

I have a TGB license (although I haven't done much with it, as I mostly use the 3D engine instead), so I can probably answer any questions you may have about what it can do. However, I don't have the platformer starter kit, so the public TGB forum may be a better place to ask.