Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Southern Medicine

Many of you crazy skeptics insist on having only one set of "scientific" standards for medicine. I say that medicine that originates from bronze age traditions below the equator aren't subject to those standards! You have to perform experiments that leave in bias! You see, Southern medicine is built on an entirely different philosophy that your allopathy! You can't test it with arbitrary Northern standards like "Do more patients get better from it than placebo?" Instead, you have to focus on how it makes the patient feel. And not on a pain, symptom, or not-living level. How it makes them feel spiritually. So, you can stay in your box of logic and experimental results, I'm going to believe what I want, no matter what you say.

Just in case it's not astoundingly obvious, since woos get very crazy out there, I'm making fun of the whole "Eastern versus Western" altie argument.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until we can travel through space and inhabit other planets, so we can start arguing about "Galactic Up" vs. "Galactic Down" medicine. We're running out of dimensions here!

...yes, there will be woo that far in the future. Why do you ask?

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again: sooner or later, we're going to see a resurgence of Galenic medicine in China. All the same "arguments", just with "east" and "west" reversed...

Melissa Gay Art said...

I practice Southern nutrition, just like my granny and her granny before her! LARD is the answer!!! LARD in everything. And eat your chittlins with grits and turnip greens! Collards is of the devil.

Studies show folks who eat a good Southern diet live well into their 80s! ...Whose studies? MY STUDIES!!! N = 2 for my granny, and her granny before her. All must bow before the power of my annicdotes!!!

(Er. Sorry, Grandma!) ;)