Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My Vocabulary Word For the Day #2

I was looking up an acronym in the Urban Dictionary, and started looking at the recent front page words. I bumped into this:

Epiphanot:

An idea that at first seems like an amazing insight (at least to the conceiver) but later turns out to be pointless, mundane, stupid, or incorrect, and often is the root cause of bad decisions. Mostly occurs under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Here is a bimutual epiphanot from one of Americas cinematic masterpieces, National Lampoon's "Animal House"...

Larry: Okay. That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being. (Jennings nods) This is too much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--

Jennings: Could be one little tiny universe.

Larry: Could I buy some pot from you?

I think I'll be using this word a lot with woos like Michael Egnor.

3 comments:

Bob said...

I was watching Family Guy last night, and Brian asked Peter the same thing, though I can't remember what Peter said. Anyone?

Bronze Dog said...

I believe he was talking about a plan to break into a trailer house, describing it much like the computer room scene in Mission: Impossible.

Snail said...

My eyesight isn't brilliant so I thought the word was 'epiphanol', which I interpreted as the insights that come while drunk.

Yours is better.