Monday, September 29, 2008

IDiot Quote of the Time Being #1

I saw this, and I just had to start a new series. In two days, I've heard two Creationist arguments I've never heard before. The first is sufficiently lampooned in this video. The second I'll leave to readers:
there is a large amount of ice still within our star system.about 4500 years ago a giant ice-snow ball scattered throughout out star system. that ice-snow can still be found in many places in our star system eg. rings of saturn, haleys comet ,our moon's spot crators, earth north arctic and ant-arctic magnetic poles,etc.. (ice is magnetic)
[Emphasis mine]

7 comments:

Rhoadan said...

Eh, whuh??? Before I can even think about dismantling this one, I'd have to figure out what's it's trying to say. And "Ice is magnetic."??? Where'd that come from? Water is a dipole molecule, that's what allows ice to expand below freezing (to a point, there's a temperature below which ice contracts just like anything else having the heat leeched out of it), but magnetic? You gotta be kidding me.

Clint Bourgeois said...

Interesting, I always just thought hat ice was cold.

King Aardvark said...

Seriously, this is an argument?

Bronze Dog said...

I know! It's that crazy. Of course, this was from a very long winded repeat spammer who went on for months, so if it's a joke, it's a very dedicated one.

William said...

I'm puzzled as well. Is it meant to have something to do with Noah's Flood?

Bronze Dog said...

I don't remember the context, but this is from a troll who changed subjects reflexively.

Der Geis said...

I can understand the faulty assumption that ice is magnetic. Water is a polarized molecule, positive at the oxygen end and negative at the hydrogen end. Induce an electromagnetic field and you can cause it to flip back and forth. That's how the microwave oven cooks things, by making the water molecules flip about (and why dry things don't cook well in the microwave).

Of course, that's not the same as saying water or ice is magnetic. This guy might have once heard about the polarity of water and jumped to a conclusion.