Saturday, September 20, 2008

Random Recall

You know when you end up remembering some sliver of some show or videogame but can't remember what it came from? Well, here's some of that.

Sci-fi show. Leaning towards it being some low budget movie. Saw it sometime in the mid to late 80's. Villains controlled some people with mind control headbands with the gizmo in some silver triangular thing on the front. Hero used a broken one to sneak around with his free will. Scene I vaguely recall involves him freeing some friends and getting weapons.

Trying to remember the name of an old PC game played in MS-DOS or some similar primitive state. Pretty much a medieval conquest game. Resources to manage: Sheep, grain, cows. If you got enough cows, your villages could survive on dairy alone. Tip I received was to just eat all your sheep early, since you could never count on the merchant being around when you had wool to sell. This would allow you to build up the two more useful categories a few seasons faster.

One delayed bit of thanks goes to the Agony Booth for placing Puma Man.

10 comments:

William said...

"The Tripods" told the story of invading aliens who enslaved humanity, controlling them with a kind of metal mesh skullcap. (This is how it's described in the books; I forget how it was depicted in the TV adaptation. It could've been a headband.) The protagonists were humans with non-functioning caps.

This probably isn't what you were thinking of, though.

Flit said...

Frustrating isn't it and when you finally work out what it is and track it down it isn't as good as you remember it.

I can remember a show I saw in the 80s that had a robot that was fueled with urinal cakes. I have no idea what the show was. I'm starting to think I actually dreamed it as I've never met anyone else who has any idea what I'm talking about.

Tom Foss said...

William: that's what I was thinking as well. Read that series in 6th grade.

Valhar2000 said...

The game sounds a lot like Lords of the Realm 2, particulalry the stuff about having cows and surviving on dairy alone.

Unknown said...

I was thinking the same thing, but there were no sheep in Lords of the Realm 2. Maybe it was another game in the series?

Anonymous said...

A while back I had the hardest time figuring out the name of the book with orphans living in the Museum of Natural History. Took me several hours searching Amazon and the public library's index to find out what it was.

But I still haven't figured out the name of the book where the MacGuffin is a first-edition copy of Alice in Wonderland. It was a children's mystery, with a female protagonist and I think maybe she had a beagle. It's still driving me crazy.

Bronze Dog said...

I'm now pretty sure the game was Lord of the Realms, though I can't say where in the series it'd be. Do remember they had some voice to go with it.

Unknown said...

According to Wikipedia's entry on Lords of the Realm 2:
"Unlike Lords of the Realm, which has three main food types (grain, sheep, cows), this game features only cows and grain for food. The player can run three types of food economy: allocating all fields to grain, all fields to cows, or running both cattle and grain together."

So I sounds like the first game is what you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

Flit - the show was called "Metal Mickey."

Flit said...

Thankyou anonymous.

I just watched the intro of Metal Mickey on YouTube. Brings back a few memories. It's possible that I had blocked it out because it was an awful awful show.